Partha holds a Ph.D. degree in Economics from the Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU), New Delhi, India. His research interests include issues related to industry and labour and employment. He has been associated with a number of research studies supported by international and national agencies such as South Asia Network of Economic Research Institutes (SANEI), Massey University-New Zealand, ILO-Delhi, National Commission on Enterprises in the Unorganized Sector (NCEUS), Indian Council of Social Science Research (ICSSR), Department of Scientific and Industrial Research (DSIR), V.V. Giri National Labour Institutes and so on. Besides research, he also delivers lectures on quantitative/qualitative research methods in training programs/workshops organized by various research institutes and universities.
- (2014): "The Employment Implications of Recent Economic Slowdown: Evidences from a Field Survey in India", in Mustafa K. Mujeri and Wahiduddin Mahmud (Eds) Adjusting to Global Economic Volatility: The Case of South Asia, Academic Foundation, New Delhi, (In association with SANEI, Dhaka), Pp. 155-177.
- (2013): “Employment Growth in North Eastern Region of India: Post Reform Scenario and Emerging Challenges” Labour and Development, Vol. 20, No. 2, Pp. 12-29.
- (2013): “Employment Growth, Education and Skills in India: Emerging Perspectives”, The Indian Journal of Labour Economics, Vol. 56, No. 1, Pp. 95–122. (Jointly with M. Satish Kumar)
- (2013): “Expansion of Private Business Space for the Marginalized Social Groups in India: Barriers and Challenges”, in S. Misra, D. Awasthi and G. Batthini (Eds) Tenth Biennial Conference on Entrepreneurship: Vol I, EDI-Bookwell Publisher, New Delhi, Pp. 557–567.
- (2012): The Value of Work - Interdisciplinary Perspectives, Edited jointly with Valentina Cuzzocrea and Paul James, Inter-Disciplinary Press, UK.
- (2011): “Is there an Earning Penalty for the Self-employed Worker? Evidence from India”, in Valentina Cuzzocrea and Jenifer Laws (Eds.), Value of Work: Updates on Old Issues, Inter-Disciplinary Press, Oxford, UK. E-book, Pp. 113–120.
- (2010): “Subcontracting in India’s Unorganised Manufacturing Sector: A Mode of Adoption or Exploitation?” Journal of South Asian Development, Vol. 5, No. 1, Pp. 53–83.