Dr. Beena Saraswathy
Beena Saraswathy is working as Assistant Professor in the institute. She has completed MPhil in Applied Economics and Doctoral Degree in Economics from Centre for Development Studies, Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala (Jawaharlal Nehru university, New Delhi). Her doctoral study examined the implications of mergers and acquisitions on technological performance, production efficiency and market competition. Before joining ISID, she had been working with Indian Council for Research on International Economic Relations (ICRIER) and Competition Commission of India (CCI) under the Ministry of Corporate Affairs. In ICRIER her work was cantered on the Regulatory Issues in the Indian Pharmaceutical Industry with focus on the functioning of Central Drugs Standard Control Organisation (CDSCO) and State Drug Control authorities. CCI regulates mergers and acquisitions and other forms of antitrust issues in India. She had been part of combination case teams for assessing various combination cases in India. She has also presented papers in various national and international conferences, in and outside India. Her research interests include market competition, mergers and acquisitions, pharmaceutical industry, business groups in India and contemporary development issues.
Areas of Interest/Specialisation
market competition; mergers and acquisitions; business groups in India; pharmaceutical industry; contemporary development issues.
- Beena, Saraswathy (2018), ???The Globalisation of Indian Business: Cross-border Mergers and Acquisitions in Indian Manufacturing???, Routledge, London, UK.
- Beena, Saraswathy (2018)??? Innovation Consolidation Nexus: Evidence from India???s Manufacturing Sector??? in ???Globalisation of Technology??? , by Siddharthan, N.S and K. Narayanan, Springer.
- ??Beena, Saraswathy (2016), ???An Assessment of Foreign Acquisitions in India???, Working Paper No. 193, Institute for Studies in Industrial Development, New Delhi
- Beena, Saraswathy (2016), ???Impact of Mergers on Market Competition in the Indian Manufacturing: An Assessment???, Working Paper No. 188, Institute for Studies in Industrial Development, New Delhi.
- Beena, Saraswathy (2015), ???Production Efficiency of Firms with Mergers and Acquisitions in India???, Working Paper No. 299, Indian Council for Research on International Economic Relations, New Delhi, June. Available at: http://icrier.org/pdf/Working_Paper_299.pdf.
- Chowdhury, Joshi, P, Patnaik, A and Saraswathy, Beena (2015), ???Administrative Structure and Functions of Drug Regulatory Authorities in India???, Working Paper No. 309, Indian Council for Research on International Economic Relations, New Delhi, September. Available at: http://icrier.org/pdf/Working_Paper_309.pdf.
- Pillai, P Mohanan and Beena S (2011), ???Impact of Pay Revision Commissions on Inter-class Distribution of Salaries among Government Employees: The Case of Kerala???, Indian Journal of Labour Economics, Volume 54, No. 4. pp. 647-666, ISSN:0971-7927.